Below is a suggested path to follow from the Blog: Naturalistic Pantheist Musings
The Path of Earth (Connection) –
- Spend at least 30 minutes in Nature each week – meditating, observing and journaling.
- Make three lifestyle changes annually that will benefit the environment.
- Grow a plant or tree from seed.
- Do something in service of the Earth or Community once per month e.g. beach clean.
The Path of Fire (Celebration) –
- Celebrate the Solar, Agricultural and Lunar Cycles (8 Festivals and Full/ Dark Moons).
- Create and say some Daily Thanksgivings.
- Get involved in a Pantheist community or start your own.
- Meditate for at least 15 minutes per day.
- Learn a martial art e.g. Tai Chi or Yoga. Learn and do it twice weekly for 30 minutes each time.
- Study Sceptical Buddhism and Philosophical Taoism and apply the insights to your life e.g. Mindfulness, Wu Wei (read “The Effortless Life” by Leo Babauta).
- Create a family tree and remember your ancestors.
The Path of Water (Education) –
- Keep a Journal and write in it daily, recording your spiritual journey and examining your day.
- Study Stoicism and apply its insights to your life e.g. negative visualisation, self denial and understanding what’s in your control (read “A Guide to the Good Life” by William Irvine)
- Learn the weekly facts (see below).
The Weekly Facts
Each week a Pantheist will study two things about Nature. This will help to develop an awareness and knowledge of the world.
Week 1 – Health
Body – Learn one thing about your body that will help to keep you fit and healthy either physically or mentally.
Plants – Learn the name of one local plant, flower or herb, how to identify it and its uses.
Week 2 – Re-wilding
Trees – Learn the name of one local tree, how to identify it in summer and winter and its uses.
Bush-craft – Learn one Bushcraft skill.
Week 3 – Ecology
Animal – Learn the name of one local animal, how to identify it, its habitat and food.
Bird – Learn the name of one local bird, how to identify it, its habitat and food.
Week 4 – Cosmos
Stars – Learn one star constellation and how to find it.
Clouds – learn one cloud formation, what it looks like and what it means for weather prediction.
Each Naturalistic Pantheist should spend at least 30 minutes a week in Nature, meditating, observing and journaling (part of the Path of Earth).
This could be as follows: –
- Breath Meditation
- Sense Meditation – what do we see, hear, feel, smell, taste
- Elements Meditation – focus on the Earth, Air, Water, Fire/Energy
- Quiet Observation – simply sit in non-judgment taking in all that is happening around us.
- Focused Meditation – concentrating on one thing in Nature, observing it in detail.
- Reflecting on our experiences and writing in our journal.
Each journal entry should also include – Date, Time, Location, Weather, Your Feelings/ Moods.
- Walking the walk: Practice for naturalists, by NaturalPantheist (humanisticpaganism.com)
- Spirituality – Are you a Pantheist (disclose.tv)
- How Meditation Can Make You a Better Leader (openforum.com)